My 10 year high school reunion is on Saturday and I have been looking through my senior yearbook. It’s funny, I’m quoted in there as saying I wanted to be a writer when I “grew up”. Hah, guess I did know myself a little bit back then. I wonder if I’m one of the only ones who actually knew what I wanted to do with my life and who is actually doing it.
I’m feeling very indifferent about the reunion. Actually, my first thought was “Am I old enough to have a 10 year reunion?” Followed closely by “Great, I’ll get to explain to a whole bunch of people what I do and they won’t get it.”
I have a few very good friends from high school that I have kept in touch with, but other than that, I really don’t talk to or think about anyone from those days. So much has happened in life and high school just wasn’t that important to me.
However, to celebrate how far I have evolved in life over the last 10 years and to give myself a little pat on the back, I want to highlight my 10 biggest accomplishments since high school. Here we go:
- I earned a college degree – yes in journalism, just like I predicted.
- I got married to a wonderful and kind man.
- We bought a house together.
- I had a successful career in marketing that gave me the foundations I needed to go into business for myself.
- I had a successful career in event planning where I gained valuable contacts that have helped me go into business for myself.
- I remembered/realized that writing was my true passion in life.
- I found the courage to leave a secure job to pursue my dreams of being a freelance writer.
- I got my first private client, and then another one, and then another one – well, you get the idea.
- I helped my mom battle breast cancer and we won!
- I have learned who I am, what I want out of life and most importantly, I have learned that I still have a lot to learn!
Wow, I can’t believe I‘ve done so much in the last 10 years. I have to say, looking at that list I’m very excited to see what the next 10 years will bring.